Wagin Woodanilling Landcare Zone lies in a district where our economy is driven by agriculture. Our main crops are wheat, barley, oats, canola and lupins while mixed farming enterprises also raise sheep and cattle along with growing crops.
Landcare works with local landholders to assist with including elements of Natural Resource Management into farm planning. Landcare NRM Officer Gen Harvey promotes and provides technical and operational support to landholders to develop plans that incorporate:
- Identification of areas at risk of degradation
- Protection of soil and water resources from salinity and erosion
- rehabilitation of degraded areas
- protection of cultural, heritage, biodiversity and landscape values
- identifying land uses according to capability, landscape and micro climate
- management of land to sustain resources and production
- management of drought and flood situations
- Measurement and evaluation of Natural Resource Management actions taken.